Pregnancy is one of the most crucial phases of a woman’s life. As a would-be mom, you might crave for all the mouth-watering delicacies. However, it’s better to control your taste buds for the next nine months to make sure the health and well-being of your little one. In fact, being careful about your diet can go a long way in ensuring a safe and enjoyable pregnancy. There are indeed certain foods and beverages that are best avoided or limited during pregnancy. Listed below are some food items that are complete no during the pregnancy phase:
- Seafood and Fish Comprising of Mercury: It’s a strict no for pregnant women to consume seafood or large fish living in oceans as they are high in mercury. Mercury is a harmful substance that might result in developmental delays and other abnormalities of brain and kidney development. Since fishes are rich in omega 3 fatty acids, you may opt for freshwater ones such as catfish, salmon, cod, etc. that have low levels of mercury.
- Unpasteurized Dairy Products: Drinking raw or unpasteurized milk during pregnancy may be unsafe. This is because raw milk has harmful bacteria and doesn’t offer any nutritional benefit. As a result, you as well as your baby may become susceptible to several harmful foods borne diseases. It is advisable to drink only pasteurized milk and milk products as all the disease-causing microbes to get killed during pasteurization.
- Some specific Fruits and Vegetables: While fruits and vegetables are a rich source of vitamins and minerals, there are certain vegetables and fruits that should be avoided during pregnancy. For instance fruits such as papaya, pineapple, and black grapes because Papaya that is unripe contains a latex substance that may cause contractions of the uterus. Although fully ripe papaya is not thought to be a problem, it is not known for sure if papaya is completely safe during pregnancy.
- Processed Foods: While you’re nutritional need increases with advanced pregnancy but that certainly doesn’t mean that your calorie requirement also doubles. Processed junk foods are rich in calories and fats and are usually low in nutrients and can be harmful to the mother and the growing baby. In fact, regular consumption of processed foods may increase the risk of gestational diabetes, as well as other birth complications.
- Raw and Under-cooked Meat and Poultry Products: It’s in your best interest to avoid eating raw and undercooked meat, eggs, etc. This is because these products may be contaminated with toxoplasma parasite and harmful bacteria such as Salmonella. Consuming such foods during pregnancy may place you at a risk of food poisoning leading to fetal death or miscarriage.
While it might be difficult to keep your hands off from the food items, avoiding them throughout your pregnancy will help you enjoy a safe pregnancy and help you and your little one stay fit and healthy.
(Any health-related information or any medical opinion in the content is gathered from secondary sources and is only for the purpose of information and this should not be treated as a specific diagnosis or treatment plan for any person situation. Using this site and the information contained in it is not to create a doctor-patient relationship. Always make sure to seek the advice of your doctor if you have any issues or questions about yours or the health of others.)