The question is whether exercising during pregnancy is safe or not? comes up in the minds of almost all pregnant women. What many pregnant women worry about is the intensity of the exercises that they do. The physical exercises help to keep up the overall fitness of the body and improve the well being. Exercising also helps to ease some discomforts that come with pregnancy and also helps the body to get ready for labor and delivery. Thus, exercising during pregnancy is safe but care needs to be taken to know what forms of exercises should one practice and what one should avoid.
Benefits of exercising in pregnancy
When you exercise during pregnancy, it is not to help in weight loss but to keep you active and have a normal pregnancy. It is believed that exercising reduces the risk of miscarriage. However, before you start exercising consult your doctor about the same.
Here is how exercising during pregnancy is important and beneficial.
- It helps to cut a backache, swelling and bloating
- Prevents the risk of gestational diabetes
- Helps to increase energy
- Helps to improve your posture
- Promotes the muscles tone and offers strength and endurance
- Let’s you get proper sleep
- Regular exercise helps to keep you fit in pregnancy and improves the ability to cope with labor
- Helps to increase muscular fitness and cardiovascular strength
- Reduces constipation
- Improves circulation that reduces the chances of deep vein thrombosis
The benefits of exercising during pregnancy are also felt post-delivery. It helps the mother to lose weight quickly and be able to face the challenges of motherhood.
Risks of exercising when pregnant
Even though exercising during pregnancy comes with a number of benefits, there are some risks that you should be aware of.
Exercising is safe to practice when pregnant but it is dangerous if the woman is suffering from some medical condition. Exercising could cause blood to get redistributed to the skeletal muscles and the internal organs, reducing the supply of oxygen to the placenta.
The major concerns with exercising during pregnancy are:
- Premature contraction because of the hormones that get stimulated with exercises
- Change the fetus glucose levels because of increased glucose consumption from the muscles that work
- Overheating causes maternal therms regulation which is dangerous especially in the first trimester.
Their risks are when a pregnant woman exercises when she needs rest. Also, when you exercise during pregnancy care should be taken to indulge in light exercises only and not do any rigorous workouts.
Exercising is safe during pregnancy unless your doctor has asked you to be on bed rest. Most doctors will even recommend you to indulge in some form of exercise if your pregnancy is safe. If you were active physically before you conceived then it is safe to be active when you conceive as well. So as long as you do not face any discomfort exercising and if your health conditions are fine your doctor would suggest that you indulge in some form of light exercises.
(Any health-related information or any medical opinion in the Pregnancy news is collected from secondary sources to give relative and informative enlightenment. The opinions expressed here are the views of the source and do not necessarily show the views and opinions of Healtheoz.)