The Pregnancy Risk Assessment involves predicting which among pregnant women are highly likely to experience some adverse health conditions. This will let the provider take care that is appropriate for the risk. There are however challenges that come up when it comes to defining what low risk is.
As an employee of an organization, there are many areas that one has to consider risky for a pregnant woman. It is important that the concerned person is informed about the pregnancy and the necessary assessments of risk are done. When a worker is pregnant then she is more prone to injuries which could harm her or the baby or both.
The potential risk in the workplace
Some of the potential risks and health issues that come up in the workplace for which a Pregnancy Risk Assessment is a must are:
- Injuries that arise because of handling things or moving heavyweights
- Impairment in balance, the speed of movement and agility
- Getting tired when having to stand for long
- Shocks which happens because of regular and excess movements
- Premature birth
- Stress and high BP
- Increase the risk of an accident
Reviewing pregnancy risk
Once the employee informs that she is pregnant, an initial pregnancy risk assessment has to be done. This should be written notification stating that she is pregnant. The first review needs to complete in the second trimester between 3rd to 6th month. It may also do before that but not later. The second review needs to do within the 6-9 months of pregnancy. The third review needs to d0 when the employee is about to return to work. The fourth or final review needs to do when the employee joins work.
If there is a significant change seen in the health of the employee than a further review is required.
The various pregnancy risks
The following are some of the areas that should be included in assessing risk in pregnancy. The controls have to be determined to manage the working condition and the environment. This is so that there is no risk to the pregnant lady and to the unborn child.
Exposure to any hazardous substance
This includes substances that could cause:
- Genetic damage
- Birth defects
- Harm to babies that are breastfed
- Lead to impaired fertility
- Absorbed by the body like lead
- The risk involved in moving things and injuries caused by handling things
- In the case of a cesarean some limitation to the movement range
- Commuting to work
- Assessing driving risks, road traffic, and vibrations
- Change in working times so that the pregnant lady can travel before the rush hours
- Allowed to carry light meals and to stay hydrated
- Charging mobile phones to use in the case of an emergency
The work environment should be safe and healthy and low risk for pregnant women. The employer may want to change the conditions of work instead of declaring the woman to be sick. The employer needs to give the pregnant woman leave with pay in case the work environment is such that it cannot offer safety to the pregnant woman and the child.
(Any health-related information or any medical opinion in the Pregnancy news is collected from secondary sources to give relative and informative enlightenment. The opinions expressed here are the views of the source and do not necessarily show the views and opinions of Healtheoz.)